ad

This website uses cookies to offer the best possible experience. By continuing to use the site you are agreeing to our usage of cookies. Find out more

Close

Llandudno youth centre fate to be decided today

Published date: 20 April 2017 |
Published by: James Wilde 
Read more articles by James Wilde  Email reporter


 

The fate of Llandudno Youth Centre will be decided today (April 20).

Conwy County Borough Council Planning Committee met last Wednesday (April 12) and voted in favour of an application by Mostyn Estates Ltd to demolish the derelict building and create a three storey development consisting 18 two bed apartments on the Trinity Avenue site.

This was despite Llandudno Town Council recommending it be rejected on the grounds that "the flood risk assessment does not comply with the technical note and provide suitable protection for residents."

The committee will now meet again to either reaffirm their vote or go against the proposal.

The design and access statement reads: "The site was acquired by Mostyn Estates from Conwy Council to redevelop the derelict youth centre site, which closed five years ago.

"Location is highly accessible to the town centre, public transport, employment, schools and other community facilities.

"There is separation from the edge of the conservation area, which reflects an interruption and change in character.

“The site does not affect or lie close to any identified important, direct or panoramic views of the conservation area. The residential development on previously developed land will ease the existing housing land shortfall.

"The housing mix reflects the current local demand. Viability assessment indicates that the development is not viable for affordable housing contributions.

"The design concept is commercially modern with traditional Victorian styling."

Cllr David Hawkins of Mostyn Ward, representing Llandudno Town Council said there is a need for the site to be re-developed but not before the “flood risk” is looked into.

He said: “It is a shame we couldn’t keep the youth facilities but the funding wasn’t there.

“I would welcome development there in the way of good quality housing.

“The proposal shouldn’t go through though until the flood risk is looked into and that needs to be put right before anything goes ahead.”

For more news from across the region visit northwalespioneer.co.uk

Comments are closed for this story.

Past pictures from Llandudno

  • BG-311011-1043
  • BG-311011-1050
  • BG-311011-1028
  • l102b590
Local Bygones

View thousands more photos like this on www.localbygones.co.uk

Browse our archive